Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Eating Solids

Lucy started experimenting with "solid foods" when she was 6 months old.  Based on what I had read and advice from her pediatrician, I first introduced oatmeal and pureed fruits & vegetables.  Let's just say we had a bit of a rocky start.  More food was found on her bib, the tray, the counter - anywhere but in her mouth.  Most of the time she would seal her lips shut and just stare at me.  Anytime I managed to sneak food into her mouth she would just gag and spit the food out.  Why was I doing this again?

So I waited for a couple weeks and momentarily gave up on trying to convince this little one to eat mashed bananas, steamed carrots, etc.  Nonchalantly, I gradually started offering her bits and pieces of whatever I was eating.  And she would eat it!  Letting her hold the food by herself was key - which meant no more blending and pureeing.  She really loves food, she just really loves to feed herself.  Lucy might have a streak of independence in her, and I love it (for now)!

Mealtime is now very enjoyable and extremely entertaining.  Lucy turns into a little cavewoman when she eats and makes the most audible eating sounds possible (imagine a growling "Mmmmmm").  She is slowly learning to like being spoon-fed, and if I can catch her at just the right moment, she does really well with that.

Here is a rundown of what she now likes to eat: greek yogurt, strawberries, graham crackers, pineapple, cheese, avocado, minestrone, bananas, green beans, asiago cheese bagels, quesadillas, pasta, peaches, and really whatever we are having for dinner that night.  Rarely does she reject food now, and if she does, she just probably isn't ready to eat.  Which was probably a big part of the problem in the first place...I'm learning!  Now if I could just figure out how to get these stains out of her clothes!





No comments: